Wednesday, October 27, 2010

15 Directors.


Mr. Paolo from Brown Okinawa Assault Incident decided to tag me in a meme and seems to have forgotten to tell me about it...
Most of you know I suck at memes because I never know what to say but this one is particularly interesting because lately I've been asked a lot who my favorite filmmakers are. I was going to eventually compile a list and Mr. Paolo just made my job easier by making me do one ASAP.
So without further ado, here are my fifteen favorite directors and my fave movie of theirs.

The Holy Trinity
Elia Kazan (A Streetcar Named Desire)
Francois Truffaut (The 400 Blows)
Federico Fellini (La Strada)

The Rest of the Best
Alfred Hitchcock (Notorious)
Pier Paolo Pasolini (Saló or the 120 Days of Sodom)
Pedro Almodóvar (Volver)
Woody Allen (Annie Hall)
Lars von Trier (Dogville)
Michael Haneke (The White Ribbon)
Catherine Breillat (Brief Crossing)
Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven)
Victor Fleming (Gone With the Wind)
Jane Campion (The Piano)
Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge!)
Vincente Minnelli (Meet Me in St. Louis)

Are these who you expected? Any omission you think I made? Who are your fave fifteen?

7 comments:

Paolo said...

I tweeted you last weekend when the post came up LOL.

Pasolini barely comes up in other people's lists. And no one can pay me to see Salo again (John Waters introduced the movie earlier this week here), but I do respect the man.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I guess I never saw it then ugh my Twitter has sucked major ass lately. But anyway better late than never huh? :P

I love PPP.

Paolo said...

Hate how he died before Paradiso. Do you believe the theories?

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

The conspiracy theories about the government killing him?

Danny King said...

I sort of expected Hitchcock, but the "Notorious" pick was a surprise. It's definitely up there for me, but there's enough Hitchcock I haven't seen yet that I can't declare a favorite right now. But I wouldn't be surprised if no other Hitchcock film can match the romantic vibes of Grant and Bergman.

Burning Reels said...

Volver as your favourite Almodovar is an interesting pick - prefer it to Hable Con Ella?

Notorious is probably my second favourite Hitchcock (from what i've seen) - Vertigo blew me away.

Adore Truffaut - I think Jules et Jim is my favourite of his.

By the way, why are people stating 15?! Bit of a strange number?

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Danny: really? Well "Vertigo" is number two if it helps hehe.
I have practically seen all of his films except for the silent ones and I fell in love with "Notorious" from the first time I saw it. It contains the themes he'd visit in his entire filmography and some of the best damn performances ever filmed.

Burning Reels: oh yes, "Volver" is actually one of my top 5 favorite movies EVER.
I could go forever on Hitch and actually that's one Truffaut movie I've never really liked.
15 is kinda strange I guess haha, why don't you do your list as well?