Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sheet-y Saturday.

Where we take a look at posters for upcoming features.


I could start making all sorts of snobby jokes about the fact that Ryan Reynolds is in a movie called Buried. I won't.
Instead let's praise the people behind the utterly brilliant marketing campaign for this horror movie. The teaser above is all kinds of magnificent. No title, no floating heads, we can't even see who the star is and yet we are drawn to that little yellow box. Once we see what's inside, there's a pervading, almost perverse, feeling of claustrophobia that takes over you.


If the teaser above wasn't enough, take a look at how they worked with-and not around-the tacky critics' blurbs that usually make posters feel degrading and whorish.
The way in which the words are arranged, gives the poster a tri-dimensional feeling, as if each quote was a step of sorts, perhaps a layer of ground, to get to the center of the concept.
Take a closer look and you'll read stuff like "would have made Hitchcock proud!" (they should've added Saul Bass too). I for one am honestly eager to watch a Reynolds movie for the first time in my life.

Did these images achieve that for you too?

4 comments:

Andrew K. said...

Make the snobby jokes. Please.

Jason H. said...

I too have never looked forward to a Ryan Reynolds movie. Until now. If the movie is half as good as the posters, then I'll be happy.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Andrew, I'm trying to be nicer! Hahaha help me out.

Jason: the early notices have been awesome! I'm sorta excited about this one.

Burning Reels said...

I doubt i'll be rushing to watch the film but from a marketing point of view, it's a neat concept.