Monday, August 9, 2010

Lion Heart.

The most important man in my life (at the moment) turns 50 today.

He hates pop culture and American TV but still had a Desperate Housewives character named after him...



He might not know a thing about projecting films but when I was little made me feel like I was living in Cinema Paradiso.



I always say he reminds me of Homer Simpson, not because of his stupidity (my dad doesn't have a single dumb hair on his head) but because of his immense heart...


(also this picture very well exemplifies his eternal search for a theological truth)

I may not say it too often, or too much, but I'm sure he knows I love him.


He will always be my Atticus Finch.

So, everyone please proceed to wish my papa a very happy birthday.

9 comments:

Dame James said...

Awwww, what a sweet and loving tribute. You're making me look like a bad son, Jose!

Andrew K. said...

I wish I had as close a relationship with my father (or any of my parents really, I'm very dependent on my sisters though, oddly). The Carlos Solis thing makes me laugh because I HAVE thought of you whenever they mention the last name on the show.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Thank you James :)

Andrew: as long as you don't start calling me Juanita or Celia we'll be alright.

J.D. said...

Happy Birthday, Jose's dad! :D

Wayne B said...

Jose - Aw, I think this is the greatest thing I've read in the past week. It's obvious your papa raised you well. :)

Happy Birthday Mr. Solis, wherever you are! Congratulations on the milestone.

Castor said...

Aww so touching! I think we can all learn something from this post :) Happy birthday Mr. Jose Sr!

carlos solis said...

Thanks guys for your kind words. All I can say is José has a force of his own and I really enjoy him and are proud of being his father. Let me tell you that my great-grandmother had movies projected in a wall of our house in downtown Tegucigalpa back in the early 1940's. Also, my grandfather and my uncle used to take me to the movies at least twice a week. One memorable day for me is September 15, 1973, when at 9:30 am I was watching "55 Days at Peking", at 3:00 pm "Aquellos Años", a great Mexican movie directed by Felipe Cazals, and at 7:00 pm "The Poseidon Adventure". Also, in my 1974 Christmas vacation I watched 17 movies in 14 days. Anyway, José inherited our passsion for movies but not just as an spectator, but as a fine movie critic. Thanks again and may God bless you all.

NATHANIEL R said...

happy birthday Jose Papa !

Lucas Dantas said...

awwww this was so cute!!
even if i'm late i must say: happy bday papa carlos!