Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sheet-y Saturday.

Where we take a look at posters for upcoming features.


Christina Aguilera...bless her heart. Whoever made her believe she has become a brand name, and people the world over will know who she is (as they obviously will with Cher) just by reading her first name, is seriously deranged.
But that said, the poster for Burlesque is all kinds of fabulous! If it wasn't for the fact that Aguilera doing her "I'm about to sing so shut up bitches" pose is a bit too "tour on film", everything else is so decadent, kitschy and gay that the movie is making it clear who will like it and who won't.
From a design level, we could've done without the movie title on top, given how the sign made out of light bulbs is pretty easy to read on its own.
The whole thing looks like VH1 Divas meets Chicago by way of Dreamgirls times This Is It.
And honestly I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.


Zhang Yimou is a visual master and has yet to disappoint when it comes to pure aesthetic experiences.
The only reason why this poster caught my eye is because I love how it openly declares it's a remake.
Hollywood loves remaking movies but rarely feature that as part of their marketing campaogns so Zhang must know what he's doing if he leads people on fully knowing they are about to see something that might've been better the first time around.

Dying to see these movies or could you care less about remakes and X-tina?

5 comments:

Simon said...

Did you know that when a studio buys the remake rights to a movie, they keep that movie from any proper distribution in the US until the remake comes about, if ever? I wonder if that'll happen in reverse with A Woman [...].

Burlesque makes my eyes hurt.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I most certainly did not know that!
Interesting to see it happen the other way around and thank the universe for region free DVDs to get the movies we never get in our continent.

Re: Burlesque LOL!

Andrew K. said...

I hope Burlesque does well. I'm not exactly anticipating it, but people are seriously ragging on Christina like crazy. I mean, who knew so many people hated her? I think she has the potential to be a "star" (movie wise) - define that as you wish.

Burning Reels said...

Nonplussed by Burlesque but would welcome a nice surpise - Cher is usually a great presence in cinema, but it's been a while.

Big fan of Blood Simple - usually like Yimou's pictures so even though i'm your average remake hater, I wouldn't mind making an exception here...

Robert said...

I love how you describe Christina's "I'm-about-to-sing-so-shut-up-bitch" pose. Actually, that's perfect, I'm going to use that now.

Anyway I'm super psyched about Burlesque.