Tuesday, December 28, 2010

While Watching "The Day of the Triffids"...


I couldn't help but love how at one time smoking was allowed everywhere, even in hospitals.


And more than that...


The friendly nurse would help the recovering patient light up.

I said it again recently but I must repeat it: I love vintage sci-fi.

Thanks to the awesome Luke of Journalistic Skepticism for recommending this one. Any others you have in mind buddy? How about you guys, any awesome old, campy sci-fi classic you think I should watch?

4 comments:

Luke said...

Haha! I watched this with my grandpa back in the day and I completely forgot about this scene. Well done, sir. :) And not to dominate the conversation or anything, but I caught part of Terror Beneath the Sea one night on AMC a while back. Might be right up your alley...

Anonymous said...

Soylent Green, Martian Chronicles, and the great British TV series UFO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm6Wh71AL5c

or the Thunderbirds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIAKj3Gl1E

Maybe not want you want, but please check these José.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Luke: wasn't able to find that one :(

Anonymous: ditto. Those are TV shows so they are harder to find!

Runs Like A Gay said...

If I'm not going to have a nurse light my cigarette than there's no point in going to hospital.

The past is indeed a foreign country - they do things differently there.

I recently saw Rocketship X-M, a 1950 sci-fi with Lloyd Bridges, which involves a rocket crash landing on Mars. Pleasantly bonkers with an anti Nuclear message long before it became fashionable.