Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sheet-y Saturday.

 Where we take a look at posters for upcoming features.

Whoever is behind this one sheet for Mirror Mirror had only purpose in mind: destroy Tarsem movies from having flawless poster designs. Check out the posters released for The Cell, The Fall and Immortals all of which were visually intriguing movies, with imaginative graphic campaigns. What we have here is Photoshop gone seriously wrong and also slightly plagiarist.
For starters, do not showcase your movie's castle when Princess Jasmine isn't anywhere to be found, wait, are you telling me this isn't the castle from Aladdin?
Next, do not have Armie Hammer look like he's still wearing J. Edgar old age makeup...he's supposed to be the prince, not Snow White's creepy stalker. Next, do not make the elves look like a comedy troupe out of a Chelsea Handler fantasy. Last but not least, don't make people believe your heroine has no arms. Unless this is also an adaptation of Wicked, Snow White was never known for her lack of limbs. Seriously, the teasers featuring individual characters were much, much nicer. 

After the overloaded disaster we just saw, this poster is absolutely breathtaking. I don't even know what the movie's about, but the way in which they captured the imminent disappearance of love (don't you want to just try and contain those falling streams from dissolving the couple?) makes me already ache for how heartbreaking this movie will be.

What's your take on these puppies?

5 comments:

Ryan T. said...

I saw these two posters recently and I agree with everything you said. I don't even know what Apart is about, but I've been impressed with all of their posters and it's making me want to see the film (GASP... see how that works marketing people?).

As for Mirror Mirror, I am so not down with Tarsem doing a kid's flick, but I still hoped that the marketing would be grown-up a bit. Sadly we got that awful trailer and now this overblown, oversaturated poster. Boo!

Amir said...

I hadn't seen Apart's, but it's a contender for the best of the year already.

As for Mirror Mirror, I think it's time to give up hope on the film. After that horrendous trailer, now we get this poster. How much fun can the film be? Unless, it's sooo campy that it's somehow good?

Candice Frederick said...

i kinda love both posters. does that make me weird?

Runs Like A Gay said...

Both posters are making me cry, only one in a good way.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Ryan and Amir: WORD. I don't know what's up with this movie's marketing. Tarsem always has seemed so graphic-conscious.

Candice: of course not, to each their own!

Runs: LOL