Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sheet-y Saturday.

Where we take a look at posters for upcoming features.

See, I can appreciate the fact that The Iron Lady is trying to do something different. The teaser was perfect (even if you're not into Meryl's mimicry) but as much as I can admire their gutsy advertising campaign, I don't get what they were trying to do with this poster.
We can see that Margaret Thatcher became equal to Parliament and England but what exactly is the shape we're seeing? It seems to me like the designers just thought that sticking two contrasting images together would make sense...but something's missing. No?

Johnny Depp bores me. This poster does not. Gotta love how even in its The Hangover redux feel (the tagline...) this one sheet still has a very playful tone to it. The fish! The bowling pins! Depp's cute boxers! The red plane with that sign! Even they font they used is perfect.

What's your take on these two posters? Is it ladies or rum for you?

5 comments:

Andrew K. said...

That Rum Diary poster is fantastic, maybe I'll appreciate Johnny again. Maybe...maybe...

(Meryl looks very Faye Dunaway like in that...PS. I was watching It's Complicated recently, I forgot how adorable she was in it.)

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Exactly, maybe he can make us like him again.

She rocks in that movie! why don't they give her more cute roles?

Luke said...

Yeah, for the been-there, done-that feel of Rum Diary (gone are the days of Depp truly breaking out of his comfort zone), the promotional materials have been pretty great. I'm not sure which of the two teaser posters I like better though.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Horrid horrid Iron Lady poster.

Just makes no sense. I don't even understand what they're trying to say? That we can't see Thatcher without the politics? That she was obsessed with power? The look doesn't work either, what is she looking up at?

Perhaps it will make more sense when we see the film.

Everything about this movie worries me.

Simon said...

I love the Run Diary poster so much. But the Tumblr junkie in me feels it should be captioned with Beyonce lyrics.