Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sarah and Plummer and Gays, Oh My!

Here's a quick roundup of what I've been up to this week:

- A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to be in the presence of his holiness Pedro Almodóvar who was in town doing press for his newest film I'm So Excited. Being the huge Almodóvar nerd I am, I have to confess I was largely disappointed when I first saw the film; however as the days began to pass and I thought more and more about the specific times during the screening when I had chuckled and no one else had noticed it became obvious to me that this wasn't his most accessible movie to date. While American audiences will look at it through the comedic lens, I realized this was his love song to a Spain in economic and political ruins. I talked to him about this. Read the feature here.

- I interviewed the divine Sarah Brightman who talked about space travel and how she's not one of those "hocus pocus girls". Read the interview here.

- DVD review: Barrymore. Read it here.

2 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

i rather liked his inaccessibility as a director/writer. but i thought this was an amateur effort, like someone trying to be like almodovar but failed.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

That's interesting. I honestly felt like this was his first movie in ages where a LOT was lost in translation. It's interesting to see how divisive opinions have been. I enjoyed it, but granted it wasn't as flawless as his other ones.