Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Favorite Things About the Oscar Nods.

Rooney Fucking Mara!
I gasped, squealed with joy and peed my pants a little when her name came after the very deserving Viola Davis. I still wonder what people saw in Glenn Close's ridiculous performance as Albert Nobbs (even SaBu makes more sense in retrospect) but stranger things have happened...
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo got four other nominations and even if it missed out on the big ones (not that David Fincher would care) you all know I live for Best Actress, so this is quite a joy for me.

Other things that made me gleeful and smiley:
- The Tree of Life getting in Best Picture and Best Director.
- Allen, Scorsese AND Malick in for Best Director. In terms of pure auterist class this is the best year for the category since 2001 (with Payne taking the ugly Ron Howard spot)
- Jessica Chastain getting in for The Help.
- Bret McKenzie being an Oscar nominee for The Muppets, even if Sergio Mendes will probably win, considering how Oscar likes to be all "worldly" and "embracing of different cultures".
- Midnight in Paris' Best Art Direction nod, completely unexpected but incredibly deserved.
- J. Edgar failing to earn a single nod. Really Clint, even you need to make an effort sometimes.

and of course...
Jennifer Lawrence looking absolutely radiant! That hair color makes her look luscious! Anyone know who was she wearing?

What were your fave things?

12 comments:

Lucas Dantas said...

what's SaBu hosie?

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Sandra Bullock!

Robert said...

I was pretty pleased! I must say the Bridesmaids love made me very happy. As did Rooney and Bret McKenzie. I'm also kind of happy that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close made it into that unexpected Best Picture nom - I know a lot of people had issues with that film but I thought it was fantastic.

Mikhael said...

I agree with Robert, I thought Loud and Close was phenomenal. It deserved the nomination.

I was lost thinking about the nominations while looking at the gorgeous Jennifer Lawrence 8:30 in the morning.

Andrew K. said...

Okay, clearly you're entitled to your favourites but don't start with silliness like Glenn being so terrible in Albert Nobbs. Come on, you can't honestly say that she played the character unfairly or injudiciously?

PS. Ummm, Robert...you're alive?

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Robert: so good to hear from you! I personally haven't seen EL&IC so I can't comment but I've loved all of Daldry's movies.

Mikhael: didn't she look smoking hot?

Andrew: I guess it's a matter of personal taste, I personally think Close gave a horrible performance, inversely I really liked McTeer in the same movie. I can't say I give Close credit for anything other than being persistent, but that's got nothing to do with the movie or her performance in it.

Candice Frederick said...

i didn't love rooney in the movie, but i really really liked it. good turn for her.

Robert said...

I am alive! I know I've been pretty much in absentia the past few months...nothing like Oscar Season to get a latent film blogger out of his cave. ;)

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Candice: yes! You know what you were saying about Fincher and actresses. She's a superb example.

Robert: yay for you being alive again!

Rodney said...

Any nod for Midnight In Paris is fine with me! Great words, Jose!

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Thank you Rodney! Always glad to see more Midnight in Paris fans!

Runs Like A Gay said...

I think it's a shame that Mara knocked out Tilda's magnificent work though.