Sunday, February 8, 2009

It Was Written.


"Slumdog Millionaire" continued its incredible winning streak collecting a WGA award tonight and making me wonder if the movie's critical success hadn't gotten so out of control would I perceive it as a better movie?
The film winners were:

Original Screenplay,
"Milk", Written by Dustin Lance Black

Adapted Screenplay
"Slumdog Millionaire", Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy, Based on the Novel "Q and A" by Vikas Swarup

Documentary Screenplay
"Waltz with Bashir", Written by Ari Folman

If I could chose it would've gone: "Vicky Cristina Barcelona", "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Waltz With Bashir", because all the other nominees are so bleh and it's sad considering how Oscar got it so right with the screenplay categories this year.
While WGA's Original category is satisfying, Oscar's was brilliant, except for "Frozen River" which I don't really "get".
So I guess here's another Oscar category sealed, except on the 22nd I'm gonna be crossing my fingers for David Hare to pull off an upset for "The Reader", in the very same way Ronald Harwood stole his thunder for "The Hours" in '02.
After watching it tonight I've no idea why so many people were so opposed to it, when stuff like "Frost/Nixon", "Benjamin Button" and even "Slumdog" got in!

1 comment:

Matt Kilgore said...

I actually really hope the momentum carries through to oscar night... and I mean, at least we've gotta make sure 'button' doesn't take the big award. now that would be bad.