Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dear Oscar,

I've been a good boy all throughout the year. I've stayed during several movies up until the last credit rolled, I went to the theaters and saw even the worst garbage that was put out in order to support the industry. I also did my share of catching up with some of the classics you've endorsed and am thankful for your advice about "The Shop on Main Street", "You Can't Take It With You" and everything involving Gene Tierney and Ingmar Bergman.
Therefore I would be very happy if tomorrow morning you gave me the following things:
Best Actress nominations for Sally Hawkins, Kristin Scott Thomas and Kate Winslet, especially if it means leaving that awful Angelina Jolie woman out of the race.
I also would be thankful if you gave "WALL-E" a Best Picture nomination (especially over the one you know annoys me the most) and maybe muster enough votes for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" or "Happy-Go-Lucky" to sneak in.
I know asking for a sudden attack by "Hunger" would be just too much, even though Michael Fassbender should win Best Actor and you know I don't mind Clint Eastwood getting in as long as it's for "Gran Torino" and not "Changeling".
I also promise to behave even better this year if you can get Rosemarie DeWitt and Debra Winger nominated in Supporting Actress for "Rachel Getting Married".
And don't forget Penélope!
Oh, can you put Jonathan Demme in Best Director too as well?
Gosh, I'm asking for quite a lot aren't I? But I promise I'll leave a martini and an extra special plate of snacks on the mantel when you come on February 22 and see even more movies this year!

Sincerely,
Jose

No comments: