Monday, June 29, 2009

Moment for reflecting.

With all that's been going on in my country (just Google "coup d'etat in Honduras" if you haven't heard...) my mind has been completely taken away from all that has to do with pop culture, media and even cinema.
I don't blame any Americans who have no idea what I'm talking about, as the American media has remained pretty much uninterested in what's going on. Apparently knowing who will take care of Michael Jackson's estate is more relevant that knowing what is going on a few countries South of Neverland Ranch. I however invite you all to become informed and debate this.
Last night I was trying to stay awake watching "As Good As It Gets" last night, but the accumulated exhaustion, anger and stress from the day made me doze off before Jack took Helen and Greg away for a holiday.
I'm praying that things will come to a resolution soon so that I can return to my normal way of life. For a moment though I've felt selfish in my ignorance of what goes on in the world and all this has reminded me that cinema has withdrawn its attention from politics and change.
Why aren't we watching any more films like "Nashville", "Missing" and "Z"? Why has cinema stopped being political?
It's no coincidence that we have grown in a generation that remains completely ignorant of the world around them. More than ignorant we have remained indifferent and that is something that does more harm than bullets, swords and bombs.

No comments: