Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Haven't Seen It All.

I was invited by The One Line Review to submit a personal list of what I thought to be the 50 greatest films of all time.
To my surprise I didn't have much trouble coming up with a list that satisfied both the serious critic and crazy fanboy inside me.
I realize however, and judging by what other people have submitted so far, that I've still so much to see!
These lists are great mental exercises and provide a sense of achievement, but they are also stimulating to go out and watch the cinema we haven't seen.
My list of course is subject to change depending on what the future brings.

Here's my take:

8 1/2
A Streetcar Named Desire
All About Eve
All About My Mother
Amarcord
Annie Hall
Barry Lyndon
Bride of Frankenstein
Bringing Up Baby
Cabaret
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Cries and Whispers
Dancer in the Dark
Double Indemnity
E.T. the Extra-terrestrial
Far From Heaven
Gone With the Wind
High Noon
La Strada
L'Atalante
Magnolia
Moulin Rouge!
Nashville
Notorious
Persona
Rashomon
Salo
Scream
Singin’ in the Rain
Stalker
Stardust Memories
Sunset Blvd.
Taxi Driver
The 400 Blows
The Great Dictator
The Lion in Winter
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Piano
The Silence of the Lambs
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Wizard of Oz
Three Colors: Red
To Kill a Mockingbird
Vertigo
Volver
WALL-E
West Side Story

What do you think? Is there anything you would've placed instead of my picks? Is it a satisfying list? What should I watch?
Comments are open for criticisms, suggestions, kudos and recommendations.